April 2017 Update: I think about this recipe from time to time, and in all honesty y’all, I’m not sure I can recommend it as posted. The sauce is delicious, but I think it’s just too overwhelming for cucumbers by themselves. One time I combined the cucumber and sauce with some rice noodles and that was much better. One of these days, I’ll whip up a more cohesive dish using this sauce and share that. Standby ’til then! Or if you want, give it a whirl and tell me what you think – how would you improve it??
There’s a recipe in the family cookbook I’ve been eyeing for a few weeks now. I love cucumbers and eat them as a snack all the time. I mostly toss them in vinegar or something similarly light. But since I’m always looking for a new recipe or a way to change things up, I thought this recipe for cucumbers with peanut sauce would be a nice change of pace. The only problem? Occasionally in our family recipe book, my mom/ aunts/ grandmothers forgot that we can’t read their minds when they were writing out their recipes. This was one of those recipes. It called for things like “the worcestershire sauce” to top “the cucumbers,” instead of actual amounts. So I guessed a little bit.
I think it turned out pretty well. I really like the peanut sauce. I will say though… I think it’s a little heavy for the cucumbers. Maybe it’s because, as I mentioned, I usually eat cucumbers without a whole lot on top. But maybe that’s just me. And the peanut sauce is worth repeating – I just may put it on top of something a little more substantial next time.
Cucumbers in Peanut Sauce
Recipe adapted from my family recipe-book
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- In a large bowl, whisk together white wine vinegar, brown sugar, and crushed red pepper. Add the sliced cucumbers to the bowl and refrigerate while preparing the peanut sauce.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a small pan.
- Once oil is hot, add garlic. Flash fry for just 1 minute, then turn the heat down to low.
- Once oil has cooled some, stir in the peanut butter. Stir continuously until oil and peanut butter are well combined.
- Now lower heat even further, so burner is barely on. Stir in remaining three ingredients.
- Leave on very low heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Remove cucumbers from their bowl, leaving the liquid behind. Whisk together the peanut sauce and vinegar mixture.
- Return the cucumbers to the bowl. Refrigerate until cool before serving.