It’s that time of the month again where we make treats for the staff of the hospital before we move on to our next rotation next month. I think the fact that we like to make these treats for our teachers of the month may be solely responsible for ensuring that we actually make and share dessert recipes on here. (Desserts = my Achilles heel, I’m sure I’ve mentioned that once or twice…) But with this motivation, we’ve cooked up a few pretty delicious recipes to share, like the Strawberry Streusel Bars or the Mint Chocolate Bars.
We went a little different direction this month. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t stop thinking about making a snack mix. Obviously, this recipe could be modified a million different ways. We made it the way we did because we felt it struck a good balance between the sweet and the salty! These proportions make a rather large amount of mix – we were trying to make enough to send to two separate groups of people. But it would be a good amount for a large Halloween party, or could easily be pared down.
Sweet & Salty Snack Mix
- 16 cups kettle corn (yield from two large popping bags for me)
- 4 cups mini pretzels
- 2 cups honey roasted peanuts
- 1 1/2 cups Reese’s Pieces
- 1 1/2 cups M&Ms
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp butter
- Melt chocolate chips with the butter in a double boiler (or in the microwave on a lower heat setting).
- Pop the popcorn and combine all ingredients, except chocolate chips and butter, in a large bowl.
- Attempt to stir up, though this is a bit difficult. Spread the mix out on wax-paper lined cookie sheets.
- Drizzle the mix with the melted chocolate.
- Allow to sit out until the chocolate hardens. Alternatively, refrigerate for ~10-15 minutes.