Sometimes writing a blog post is hard. Sometimes we just can’t think of a lot to say. This is how the conversation about this recipe went…
“Ally, not everything we make is so enlightened that I have a lot to say about it.”
If we’re posting it, it tasted good – trust us.
Basic Braised Beef Brisket
- 2 tbsp oil (we used truffle oil for extra deliciousness!)
- 3oz minced shallots (~3-4 bulbs)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 6oz carrots, chopped
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lb beef brisket
- 1/2 bottle (~1 2/3 cup) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- Salt & pepper
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Season the brisket with salt & pepper. Sear brisket until browned on all sides. Remove brisket to the side.
- Add garlic and shallots to the dish. Cook, stirring occasionally, for ~5 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Now add in the carrots and tomato paste. Stir together. Cook another ~5 minutes.
- Now deglaze the dish with the wine. Make sure to scrape up all of the delicious brown bits stuck to the bottom.
- Add the stock and rosemary sprigs. Return the brisket to the dish. Just the top should be exposed.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer and then cover. Transfer to the oven.
- Braise for ~ 1 1/2 hours, then flip the meat over. Braise for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours.