I think chicken salad is one of those dishes that gets a little bit of a bad reputation. Whether it’s because your great aunt’s recipe had a real problem with the chicken to mayonnaise ratio (I am in no way referring to any of my great-aunts) or you hate how people chop celery up into their version (I am with you there!), I just don’t see a ton of people raving about their love for a good chicken salad. This is sad because chicken salad is just a great black canvas! You can really stir in whatever you want, and you’ve still got chicken salad. Got some leftover chives? Throw ’em in! Craving some bacon bits? Mmmm… bacon chicken salad! Fridge is full of fruit? Rumor has it that grapes and apples go great in chicken salad!
This chicken salad that I made for my lunches this week took no time to throw together and is packed with flavor. No bland chicken salad for me this week! I’ve been eating it on a pita with a few slices of cucumber. As I’m sitting here enjoying this version of a classic, I’m wondering why I haven’t been eating chicken salad more often.
Zesty Chicken Salad
- 1 1/2 lb chicken breast
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Frank’s hot sauce
- 1/2 packet (~1.5 tbsp) dry ranch mix
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Cook chicken however you prefer (or use leftovers or store bought rotisserie chicken). We baked ours, seasoned with a little black pepper.
- Chop or shred the chicken in a large bowl.
- In another smaller bowl, stir together all of the other ingredients. Season with a little extra pepper if you’d like.
- Combine the chicken with the rest of the ingredients. Stir to coat the chicken thoroughly.
- Refrigerate if not eating immediately.
LikeLiked by 1 person