Want to know a secret? I actually don’t prefer chocolate chip waffles. I know this is blasphemy to the American public in general, and my husband in particular, but I really just like a plain ol’ waffle. But today is Selim’s birthday, so breakfast is to his preference, not mine. And let me tell you, that man loves chocolate! He doesn’t just want a handful of chocolate chips in his waffle, he wants several in in every bite, plus more sprinkled on top! So that’s exactly what I made for him this morning.
I used the basic waffle recipe from our bible of cookbooks, The Cook’s Book, and stuffed the batter with chocolate chips. The result was delicious and overloaded with gooey chocolate! If you love chocolate even half as much as my husband does, give these waffles a try.
Oh, and… HAPPY BIRTHDAY SELIM!!! 😘🎂🎉💘🎈🥂💕
Chocolate Chip Waffles
(Adapted from The Cook’s Book)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups milk
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Optional toppings: fruit, syrup, honey, whipped cream, more chocolate chips!
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon).
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir together.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla to the batter, stir up until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Add the chocolate chips, stirring just once or twice so the chocolate chips are well-dispersed.
- Using a ladle, scoop batter into your waffle maker and bake per the manufacturer’s instructions.