Gosh, it’s been awhile since we’ve made zoodles. For awhile there we were making, eating, and sharing zoodle recipes every week it seems like. We took a little bit of a hiatus it seems, but don’t worry – the zoodles are back! This time, they’re topped with a deliciously spicy sauce that makes you think you’re on the Mediterranean coast.
Even better news? This meal is simple to make – it only takes a few minutes of active preparation. Even more better news? This vegetarian dish is healthy and pretty darn low calorie. A great meal to sneak in to your weekly meal rotation.
Zoodles in Mediterranean Tomato Sauce
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brine from kalamata olives
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ~10 kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 oz feta cheese
- Prepare the zoodles – see our instructions if needed!
- Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the garlic and cook for just a ~2 minutes until beginning to be fragrant.
- Now lower heat to low-medium and stir in the tomato paste, vinegar, olive brine, red pepper flakes, and several turns of fresh ground black pepper. Stir to combine into a thick, saucy paste.
- After a couple minutes of letting the sauce ingredient meld, toss in the zoodles and olives. Stir to coat the zoodle in the sauce, then cover for 5 minutes.
- Once the zoodles are heated through, you’re ready to serve, topped with the feta cheese!
Light meal for 2