Got excited to make some elotes tonight, as part of our Fourth of July weekend grilling, but turns out we didn’t have the cotija in the fridge like we thought. Our improvisation led to making this corn in the style of Mexican street corn, but with the flavors of Italy. Turned out just good enough to share!
- 4 ears of corn, cooked on the cob
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Truffle salt
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated
- 4 large leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook the corn how you prefer – grilled or boiled or broiled. (We started ours in a pot of water and finished on the grill.)
- Stir the lemon juice and a large pinch of truffle salt into the mayonnaise.
- Combine the grated cheese with the basil and a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes, to taste.
- Once the corn is cooked and has cooled enough to handle, brush the mayonnaise all over each. Then cover them with the spiced cheese. Eat immediately!